In this article
We explain how the comparison between Google Analytics (GA) and Permutive Pageview numbers in reporting and how important it is to compare data in a generic like for like way.
GA and Permutive it is important to compare the data in as close as possible 'Like for Like' scenario. This is important to be able to build an accurate understanding of the differences between the platforms.
Note: Please note that by definition Permutive and GA are different systems and work differently, nuances of the systems can have ranging impacts on the numbers you see.
GA is dependent on analytics.js to run on the page to track pageviews, similar to Permutive being dependent on our SDK to be available on the page. Please consider how and when these two libraries are run in correlation to each other. There might be some unforeseen scenarios where you have added analytics.js on the page but not Permutive, as well as the other way around. For example when they have consent blocking Permutive but not GA.
Steps you should consider when looking at Permutive numbers:
- Users are different in GA and Permutive
- Does your GA traffic include bot traffic
- Do you run Permutive on consent by token on these domains
- a. Please consider this on a per domain basis when sharing information with Permutive
- Please only share pageview numbers, not user numbers. Users are not able to be compared "like for like" by definition
- What traffic are you looking at (Web/AMP/FIA)
- Are you seeing high volumes of pageview rejections on the rejections dashboard? This traffic will not be collected by Permutive
Note: When providing the GA information to Permutive for comparison please take the following points in mind.
Required information from GA:
- Set a fixed timeframe between the dates.
- a. Please break down the data on a month by month basis
- b. Please provide on a day by day basis if you consider this would help speed up the process.
- Does the GA traffic include bot traffic
- Split the traffic by domain
- a. Split by sub-domain if deemed useful in this comparison
- Split the traffic by browser type (Safari/Firefox/Chrome/Other)
- Split the traffic by type (Web/AMP/FIA)
- Share GA Pageviews, not unique users
- Please provide the data in the form of a (Google sheets / CSV/EXCEL)
Required information from Permutive:
- Did you retrieve your Permutive numbers from insights or BigQuery?
- a. If BigQuery, please provide your query used.
- Is consent by token active on the domain we are comparing?