In this article
A guide to navigating Index and Overlap insights for Campaigns
Note: Campaign insights are only available for PG deals that do not contain any video creative or third-party hosted creative
This data can be useful in post-campaign analysis once a campaign has wrapped up, or mid-campaign for campaign optimization.
At the top of the Index and Overlap insights dashboard you will see Campaign and Filter. If you click 'Edit' next to Campaign you can choose which Ad Manager campaign or campaigns for which you want to see index and overlap data.
If you click 'Edit' next to Filter, you will see the filters available to apply to the data.
Tip: If you get an error, please see this article for solutions: Common Insights Errors
To specify which segments you want to measure your selected campaign against you will need to select a base segment as well as comparison segments.
- Base Segment - The base segment is the base line or 'average user' that you want to index your campaign-targeted users against. You can only select one base segment.
Note: Base Segment only pertains to index and has no effect on overlap
Tip: Set the base segment to 'Everyone' to see how much more likely users are to belong to a comparison segment than all other users on your site.
- Comparison Segments - Comparison segments will be the segments or tag groups that populate the list. Choose the segments for which you want to see the overlap and index of the users who interacted with the campaign or group of campaigns you selected. You can also click 'Select All Segments' to see how users targeted by your campaign compares to all segments you have created.
- Minimum Uniques - If you set minimum uniques, the chart will only return comparison segments that meet that minimum. If a comparison segment you selected do not meet the minimum, it will not appear in the chart regardless of the fact that it is selected.
Interpreting the Data
Once you have selected your campaign (GAM order ID), base segment and comparison segments you are ready to analyze the data.
In the example above, we are seeing how users who viewed Campaign 210745887 overlap with segments segments we have created, as well as how users who viewed the campaign index against them.
- Overlap - Looking at Animal Lovers, we see a 22.50% overlap. This means that 22.50% of users who viewed campaign 210745887 fall into our Pet Food segment.
- Index - The index goes off a base of 100 and indicates that users who viewed campaign 210745887 are 13% or 1.13 times more likely to be in the Animal Lovers segment than average users are.
If you need more clarity on reading the data, please see this article.
To download the overlap and index report as a CSV file, click the download button in the upper righthand corner and select 'Download chart data'
If you have any questions, please contact customer support by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or chat to the Customer Operations Team via the LiveChat icon in the bottom right corner of your screen.