In this article
A guide to navigating Index and Overlap insights
Index and Overlap are a section of Insights that allow you to see how users in a particular cohort or group of cohorts compare to users in other cohorts you have built.
If you click 'Edit' next to audience, you can choose which cohort, set of cohorts, or tag group you want to compare to other cohorts in your system.
If you click 'Edit' next to Filter, you will see the filters available to apply to the data.
To specify what audiences you want to measure your selected cohorts against you will need to select a base cohort as well as comparison cohorts.
- Base Cohort - The base cohort is the base line or 'average user' that you want to index your cohorts against. You can only select one base cohort.
Note: Base Cohort only pertains to index and has no effect on overlap
Tip: Set the base cohort to 'Everyone' to see how much more likely users are to belong to a comparison cohort than all other users on your site.
- Comparison Cohorts - Comparison cohorts will be the cohorts or tag groups that populate the list. Choose the cohorts for which you want to see the overlap and index of the cohort or group of cohorts you selected. You can also click 'Select All Cohorts' to see how your cohort compares to all other cohorts you have created.
- Minimum Uniques - If you set minimum uniques, the chart will only return comparison cohorts that meet that minimum. If a comparison cohort you selected do not meet the minimum, it will not appear in the chart regardless of the fact that it is selected.
Interpreting the Data
Once you have selected your cohorts, base cohort and comparison cohorts you are ready to analyze the data.
In the example above, we are seeing how the Foodies cohort overlaps with the Pet Food, Tennis, New York etc, as well as how Foodies indexes against them.
- Overlap - Looking at Pet Food, we see a 53.64% overlap. This means that 53.64% of users in our Foodies cohort also fall into our Pet Food cohort.
- Index - The index goes off a base of 100 and indicates that users in our Foodies cohort are 4% or 1.04 times more likely to be in the Pet Food cohort than average users are.
To download the overlap and index report as a CSV file, click the download button in the upper righthand corner and select 'Download chart data'
If you have any questions, please contact customer support by emailing email@example.com or chat to the Customer Operations Team via the LiveChat icon in the bottom right corner of your screen.