In this article
A guide to the different methods you can use to report your third-party data usage.
If you have activated Permutive segments that use third-party data into other platforms, please choose one of the below methods to report this usage to Permutive:
- Google Ad Manager Log Files
- Google Ad Manager self-reporting
- Automated Google Ad Manager self-reporting
- Self-reporting for other platforms
A third-party segment is activated when a user's presence in it causes targeting information to be set. When a user's presence in a Permutive segment is evaluated, an activation is recorded in the following examples:
- A user's presence in a negatively-targeted third-party data segment is evaluated
- A user's presence in a positively-targeted third-party data segment is evaluated and the user exists in it
Google Ad Manager Log FilesTo begin, you will need to share access to your GAM log files. GAM log files are a feature of GAM Premium (also known as data transfer reports). These log files contain data about every impression that gets served, including what segments the user was in at the time when the impression was served and which of those segments (if any) were used in the decision to serve the impression.
The specific files we need for billing are NetworkImpressions and NetworkBackfillImpressions.
- Give firstname.lastname@example.org 'read access' to the bucket, by inviting the account to the Google group you created when setting up the bucket.
- Give our service account, email@example.com 'read access' to the bucket. This enables us to programmatically access the files. Since this is a service account, click 'direct add members' to add this email address, instead of 'invite'.
Note: If you do not have access to these GAM log files, you must track usage of data for billing purposes and properly report to Permutive.
In addition to log files, two new key values need to be added to your GAM instance:
You can add them by going to the Inventory (1) Key-values (2) tab, adding a new key-value (3) and choosing the settings "Dynamic" and "Do not include values in reporting" (4), as seen in the screenshot.
Note: Once you've completed all the steps above, please contact customer support by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org so we can complete the final steps on our end.
Google Ad Manager Self-Reporting
If you do not have GAM log files, you need to self-report.
If you would like Permutive to pull the following monthly report on your behalf, please contact email@example.com to give us the authorisation to do so.
In the Google Ad Manager platform, navigate to Reporting > Reports > New report:
Tip: You can give this report a name and save it to make to easier to run each month
Set the Report Type, General Settings, and Dimensions to the following options:
1. Report type: 'Historical'
2. Date range: The date range you wish to run the report over. We've used the month of September in this example
Tip: If you choose 'Fixed' instead of 'Dynamic' you can choose the exact date range you're interested in
3. Add a filter for 'Key-values contains "permutive"'
4. Dimensions: 'Key-values'
Next, you need to select the Metrics you'd like to report on. As we're looking for impressions delivered with Permutive audiences, you will need to select 'Total targeted impressions':
The results will look something like the following:
The key-value is shown first, alongside the impressions related to that value.
To see the full results you should export your report as a CSV.
This raw CSV should then be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org for processing by the 5th of each month for the previous month's usage.
Example: To report your third-party usage for July, you would need to send the CSV file to the Finance Team by the 5th of August.
Once our Finance team receives your activation report, they will process the data through a calculator which returns usage costs.
This calculator allows Permutive to understand what percentage of a Permutive segment’s audience entered via a third-party segment and which specific third-party segment they entered by.
This optimization makes sure that customers are only paying for the third-party data that was actually used to target an impression.
If you have given Permutive authorization to run this report on your behalf, you do not need to do anything and the Finance team will send you your monthly bill.
Automated GAM Self-Reporting
1. Log in to Google Ad Manager
2. Head to the Reporting --> Reports tab
3. Select New report
4. In the General Settings section, add in a name (eg. Permutive - Monthly third-party billing report)
5. Edit the Date range to show Dynamic -- Last month
6. In the Filters section add in Key values contains permutive
7. In the Dimensions section, select Key values only (if additional dimensions are selected the report received by our Finance team will not work in our calculator and we will need to ask you to re-send)
8. In the Metrics section, select Total targeted impressions only (if additional metrics are selected the report received by our Finance team will not work in our calculator and we will need to ask you to re-send)
9. In the Editors and scheduling section set the Schedule to Monthly
10. Set the Date range starting on the first of the month. This will ensure the next report Permutive receives will be on the first of the month from the previous month's usage) and ending on the last date the filter allows (this should be one year from the date you create the scheduled report)
Tip: Set a reminder to refresh this scheduled report in a year's time.
11. Leave the File format as CSV and leave all following options ticked
12. In the Add recipients section, add email@example.com and anybody else you’d like to receive this report on a monthly basis.
13. Hit Save, and head back to the Reports -- Reporting tab to ensure you see the report scheduled.
If you have any Permutive segments using third-party data activated on a different platform, for example, Facebook, you will need to self-report. Please send a list of Permutive segments that have been activated on another platform to firstname.lastname@example.org for processing.
If you have any questions about the billing process or would like to enable third-party data on your project please contact us at email@example.com