In this article
Understand and use the Segment Index report
This report gives you an idea of how your audiences index against each other.
How to find the report
- You will find this report in your dashboard under Analytics
Using the report
- Click on the 'filters' list at the top of your page to see your filters and make edits.
- Select your segments from the filter dropdown
- Base Segment - This is you baseline average, select a segment that encompasses 'Everyone' or a specific site population
- Segment - This is the test segment you'd like to find out the Index for, eg. Auto Intenders
- Comparison Segments - These segments are your explore audiences for when you have a specific hypothesis you'd like to investigate. If no comparison segments are selected, the report will return the top 10 results with the highest index.
- For the report to work, you must select a Base Segment and a Segment otherwise an error message will return.
- Set any additional filters e.g. 'DateRange'
Understanding the report
- The aim of the report is to find the affinity measurement of likelihood between your Segment and your Comparison Segments, in relation to your average audience (Base Segment).
- An index of 1 indicates that the result exactly matches the baseline average, whereas an index of 2 means the result is twice the average and your selected Segment (eg. Auto Intenders) is twice as likely to be in the Comparison Segments audience
- Hovering over the different bars shows you the the number of uniques in each Comparison Segment. Note: If the Comparison Segment has a low number of uniques it may Index higher with the Segment. To ensure more accurate results, make sure to set a value in the 'Minimum Uniques' filter.
I am looking to proactively go out and sell an 'auto' segment and I want to understand a bit about my audience. To do this, I filter by my Auto Intenders segment. From my results I can see that
- Auto Intenders are likely to be interested in food and drink, being 21x more likely to be Wine Enthusiasts and 8x more likely to be Foodies
- They are also heavily interested in Music (10x)