This report gives you an immediate overview of how one of your segments overlaps with every other segment, making it easy to spot segments with low/high overlap.
How to find the report
- You will find this report in your dashboard under Analytics
- If this report isn't enabled for your Analytics and you'd like it to be, please let us know by emailing email@example.com
Using the report
- Click on the 'filters' list at the top of your page to see your filters and make edits.
- Select your 'primary segment' from the filter dropdown 'Primary_Segment'. You can select just 1 segment, which will show up in every row of the table.
- If you are only want to see the overlap with some segments, select these segments from the filter dropdown 'Secondary_Segments'. You can select as many segments as you want, each will show up as 1 row in the table. By default all segments will be shown.
- Set any additional filters e.g. 'DateRange'
Understanding the report
- The aim of the report is to understand the overlapping unique users in your primary and secondary segments.
- Your primary segment will be listed in the first column of the table, followed by (100%), under 'Primary Segment'.
- Every other segment will be listed in the second column of the table, under 'Secondary Segment'.
- The table calculates the total number of uniques in both the primary and secondary segments, this is given in the column 'Overlap Uniques'
- The table calculates those overlapping uniques as a proportion of all uniques in the primary segment, this is given in the column 'Overlap Proportion'.
I want to understand, for my UK users, the number of uniques who use different network providers. To analyse this, over a month ago I created 'Location:UK' and 'Network' segments.
To see the breakdown by continent I select 'Location:UK' for the primary segment using the 'Primary_Segment' filter.
As I am just interested in seeing my UK uniques by network, I select 'Network' segments from the 'Secondary_Segments' filter.
From my results I can see that
- There are 11,867 uniques in the UK using the BT network (who have been on-site in the time frame and entered both the Location: UK and Network: BT segments).
- Of the networks I've set up as segments - BT is the most popular network (23% of UK users) and TalkTalk, Three and Vodafone are the least popular segments (just 4% of UK users each).