This report gives you an immediate overview of how each of your segments overlap, making it easy to spot segments with low/high overlap.
How to find the report
- If this report is enabled for your Analytics, you will find it in your dashboard under Analytics
- If this report isn't enabled for your Analytics and you'd like it to be, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Using the report
- Click on the 'filters' list at the top of your page to see your filters and make edits.
- Select your 'primary segments' from the filter dropdown 'Segment_Rows'. You can select as many of these segments as you like, each one will show up as a row in the table
- Select your 'secondary segments' from the filter dropdown 'Segment_Columns'. You can select as many of these segments as you like, each one will show up as a column in the table
- Set any additional filters e.g. 'DateRange'
Understanding the report
- The aim of the report is to understand the proportion of overlapping unique users between segments.
- For this explanation, 'segment_rows' are primary segments. These are listed as rows in the table under 'Segments' followed by (100%), with their uniques alongside.
- For this explanation, 'segment_columns' are secondary segments. These are listed as columns in the table.
- The table calculates the total number of overlapping uniques between segments, as a proportion of the primary segment.
I want to analyse the referral source of users from different continents. To analyse this, over a month ago I created 'Location' and 'Referrer' segments.
To see the breakdown by continent I select 'Location' for the primary segments - using the 'Segment_Rows' filter.
To see the proportion of users from each continent by referral source I select 'Referral' as the secondary segments - using the 'Segment_Columns' filter.
From my results I can see that, for the Location:Africa segment,
- There are 913,299 unique users in Africa (uniques on-site in this time frame who entered the Location:Africa segment)
- These users biggest known referral source is Newsnow - 37.70% of these users were referred from Newsnow
- Just 3.65% of of these users were referred from Facebook