Assuming you've already enabled the Facebook Pixel on your Permutive account, it's easy to start getting Permutive Segments into Facebook.
Before starting, you'll need to have your segment created. In this tutorial we'll use a simple 'BigItemBrowser' segment on our Shopify store.
It's worth pointing out that due to the speed at which Facebook updates, you will have to wait between 1 hour and a day part way through this process.
- Go to the 'Reactions' part of the dashboard, and click 'Add Reaction'
The process of setting up a segment in Facebook requires two reactions. One to add people to the Facebook Audience, and one to remove people. These correspond to people entering and leaving Permutive segments.
Let's set up the entry one first.
2. Give your segment a name. It's best to use a standard naming convention across your reactions. I personally like FB_[SegmentName]_Entry. So for example here, I'd use FB_BigItemBrowser_Entry
3. Select 'Facebook - Fire Pixel' under Action, then fill in the details. You can give the Facebook Event any name you like, but again a naming convention can be useful. I like Perm_[SegmentName]_Entry. So here I'd use Perm_BigItemBrowser_Entry. You'll also want to pick the segment, and 'On Entry'. It should look like the screenshot below. Then you can click create.
4. That's it, for the entry setup. You'll want to create a second reaction but with the Exit configuration. If we follow my naming conventions the exit segment would look as below. Click create and your integration will be set up.
The final step is to get the segments sent into Facebook. As we currently stand, Permutive will be sending information into your Facebook Pixel about users entering and leaving segments. You can use these events to create your Facebook Audiences.
It's worth noting at this point, you might want to wait a few hours to a day before continuing. This is because Facebook can take a while to show your events coming through.
5. Go into your Facebook Account to the 'Audience' section. Here you can create a new 'Custom Audience' using your Permutive events.
You'll want to include users that have had the entry event, and exclude users that have had the exit event. It should look like this:
Click 'create audience' and you're done.
6. It's worth pointing out that it will take a little while for the Audience numbers to update. Don't be alarmed if the numbers are low at first.
You can now use this Audience to set up campaigns as you usually would. You won't need to do any more work, as Permutive will keep your audience synced in real time.
If you've got any questions about setting up Facebook Pixel, or audiences in Facebook please get in touch. We're happy to take you through all the above steps and show you how it's done.